Monday, April 7, 2014

Back From the Break


Ok so finally back from my break from the internet.  Last week was very busy but was great and the wedding was great.  A break from things is not a bad thing.  But holy crap has a lot dropped in the last week.  A ton of leaks have come out in regards to IG and obviously the Militarum Tempestus came out over the weekend.  I was not able to get my hands on one and as they have only released the Ipad version for digital, I am waiting on that as well.

However the codex is pretty much fully leaked on the interwebs so I should have an initial thoughts and review up shortly and a follow up as soon as I get my hands on a digital or hardback copy.  I like what is in it so far and I'm sure most of you have taken a quick peak of it.  It has two pretty nice formations, one being air based and the other ground based.  HQ is commissar or Tempestor prime in command squad, which was expected.  All in all we got exactly what was expected though i was hoping for some relics and a special character, but I was not surprised to not see any in the Tempestus codex.  Short its a way to play with lots of storm troopers with decent air and ground support.  It will play well on its own but will be best as IG ally or Inquisition ally to get full mileage out of it.

So the other big leaks that have come out are good. Tank commanders, who can issue orders to their squadrons.  Yeah issuing them to all tanks would be great but at least they have some decent orders and let you run an armor heavy army if you want to.  You'll prob have to pay a troop tax still but really not a bad thing having some vet squads rolling around.  Chimeras are 10pts more, not a big deal as they were pretty cheap for what you got and honestly a front armor 12 with two heavy weapons and 5 fire points is a pretty nasty transport when compared to others.  I was expecting a slight nerf to chimeras, though I was more expecting the fire points to drop in number so a price increase is fine by me and with vets being rumored at 10 less it all pretty much evens out.

On vets, as stated they are looking to be cheaper, lose one special weapon.  I am fine with this, three special weapons was really powerful and with upgrades remaining about the same besides close combat weapons, this is really a surprising boon.  Along with a heavy decrease in doctrines (rumored at half the current cost) this is really great.  So much for GW trying to sell scions over vets as with this you still have a very versatile squad that is overall much cheaper than before with no real loss other than a weapon option.  If you were running vets before, you'll still be running them now.

Orders are looking amazing and I can't wait to see them in the codex, looking to have 6 standard orders with 3 'ancient' orders, meaning maybe they brought back regimental officers and not just company commanders.  Orders are the life blood of the IG and its looking to be hunting season.  The FW artillery is looking to be out, kind of sad but they are still 40k approved from FW, or really just have a copy of the page from the current dex as they are exactly the same so no bother buying the imperial armour.  With the basilisk, manticore, and wyvern, you still have access to solid artillery and the old ones rules have not changed so keep using them if you want too.  I see no problem with that.

Armored sentinels have dropped a substantial amount which is great as they were overpriced before but are now at a good level now to take cheap squads, with weapon options getting cheaper.  Scouts seem to be unchanged but thats ok, I have run them cheap before with good effect.

The initial real disappointment is ogryns, which appear to be almost unchanged, still the same points with maybe event he loss of furious charge and stubborn.  The bullgryns have a grenade launcher and their shield with a 4+ save.  No word on exactly what the shield does yet but it seems someone has an overvalued idea of what ogryns are worth.  I'm not saying they are worthless, will wait and see and with some of the new orders they can probably be made to work ok, but this is a surprising miss.  I am disappointed as they needed a drop in points.

We got ministorum priests ala sisters which is exactly what I wanted.  These guys are going to be very useful and although ogryns may not be your cc unit of choice, a blob with a priest or two will make that a nasty unit to stand up to.  Commissars are inquisitor price and can go anywhere(rumored), exactly what they needed.  In addition they no longer just kill the leader, is a random roll 3-6 you choose, 1-2 your opponent chooses.  Also you automatically pass the check.  Yep these guys are good and I will be using a couple to hold the line.  Inquisitors are great but they work better in other support role than hanging out with guardsmen and cheap commissars can do the job better with you essentially always passing your checks(minus one guardsmen). With you no longer having to shell out for a lord to attach to conscripts this is really good.

There are a little bit more rumored but all in all this is looking to be a great release to IG with only a few sad things, but most of them being the same sad from the previous codex so no change really.  So expect a lot more to follow in the days to come and get ready for some IG to hit the table hard.

GG

28 comments:

  1. My theory is that there is going to be some UBER combination with orders/priest/inquisitors etc. I can't wait for someone to unlock it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) 5x10 man squads combined, each taking an auto cannon and grenade launcher
      2) Attach lord commissar to blob with camo cloak
      3) attach priest
      4) Place a primaris psyker squad within 12 inches
      5) place behind aegis

      - You can use a new order to spitfire
      - You have a natural 3+ cover
      - You can re-roll to hits from the primaris
      - You can re-roll to wounds from the priest

      Other options are endurance (FNP), or Forboding (fire overwatch at full BS)

      Delete
    2. The last option would be really sweet if it worked, and I hope it does. But I think that priest will only give this special rule in close-combat. I might be wrong, and I possibly am, because re-rolls to wound would be exactly what I want...but I never get what I want ...lol

      Delete
  2. I still don't get what was the point in dropping the Medusa, Collossus and Griffon, already well stablished in the codex and with tons of players using them.
    Ok, you can just take them exactly the same from IA1, but then, what's the point in kicking them out of the codex?
    And also the rumoured loss of some special characters like Chenkov? I hope there is still some form of "send in the next wave" for the conscripts, besides their drop of 1 point per model, beacuse that rule was fun and tricky as heck, and very colorful and fluffy for the suicidal massed infantry charge so faimiliar with the guard.
    I'm waiting for this weekend with a mixed feel of anxious desire and fear...

    Pd: I hope they drop the points of base HWS from 60 to 45. Because a HWT is no better than 2 guardsmen, and they cost 5 points each. So 10 points for the team + 5 for the mortar, is 15 points. x3 that's 45. Do you agree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would be about right. Heavy weapon squads are not bad right now, but a minor drop wouldn't hurt.

      Well look at it this way, the M C and G were only in one IG codex and they don't seem to have any intention of bringing them over from FW to plastic. In the end its minor, most were not shelling out for them in bunches, so for those that have them and want them you can still use them, but if you want to stick to codex pure then you still have the plastic kits to use.

      Delete
    2. Well, the griffons are pretty old. Don't you remember the original GW plastic and metal kit, with the old style cadian metal crew?
      They disapered from one codex, apered for the next, and disapeared again for this last codex.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait for it, i truly hope it is a great release for IG. iread that the psyker battle squad lost weaken resolved which i like a lot but would apparently gain divination wgich is much better in a guard army....

    I have ordered two Wyvern, these are my Legal Thudd guns :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind that they are losing it, it was to be expected and they have access to good tables, it will be ineresting to see if they can gain mastery levels by numbers of psykers in the squad. I am really interested to see what primaris psykers can bring to the table. An old combo is lost, but new ones will come and I am looking forward too it.

      All in all the wyvern is looking to be good, a great middle ground anti infantry artillery piece. I'll miss the griffons and collosus but it happens. they were only part of IG for one codex and if you still really want them, IA allows you to take them and I know I would not put up a fuss if someone wanted to use them

      Delete
    2. Your point on Mastery level is really interesting, the faxt that they are cheap can assure to have multiple source of prescience..I would welcome a more versatile primaris...only 4 days to go...:)

      Delete
    3. almost there...

      It will be really interesting to see how the new psyker squad is going to function now.

      Delete
  4. Great rundown!

    I'm a new IG player, picking the hobby up again after a 15 year lapse, and I agree that the actual content of the new codex looks great. I've been eager for news and following the "rumors" threads on Dakka and BOLS, but the sheer volume of shirt-rending and teeth-gnashing seems really overblown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stay away from the forums fro that very reason. There is far too much hyperbole and hate spam. Oh my they didn't read your mind and build the codex to your every wish, get over it. Its looking to be a very solid release with some great options for IG

      Delete
    2. lol, yeah,, there is a lot of doom mongering going on right now. I'm looking forward to the new codex, yes there are some issues, but there always will be.

      Delete
  5. "All in all we got exactly what was expected"

    I didn't expect the loss of 3 artillery units, penal legion, marbo, and 3? other uc's. For me thats pretty disappointing. HWT's and Scout Sentinels stay the same, RRs too if I remember correctly. Big question, did they fix the Leman Russes (Sponsons & Lumbering Behemoth)? Ogryns are still overpriced if there arent any special rules or combos. So some of the major problems weren't fixed, next to useless units stay useless (why?). Reminds me of the 6th ed Nids Codex and the consequential loss of my Tyranid army :(((

    Orders, priests and formation looking good, I agree. I just hope there is some major scheme to make the codex work. If this is just another release to make room for more dataslates or just selling new units I'm definitly out of 40k. (Yeah I know, nobody cares bla blah.)

    - BF Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh forgot the Hydra nerf. Apparently no auto-target system no more. Guess my friends wave-serpents will kick my soldiers butt even harder now. :(

      Delete
    2. out of context, I was referring to Militarum Tempestus not the main IG.

      There are definitely looking to be disapointments in the new book. Ogryns, rough riders, loss of artillery in main book. Lack of regimental doctrines at least so far. Hopefully leman russes are fixed to some exent. Hydra losing auto targeting is a big hit if that turns to be true as well. Marbo was an expected drop, sorry if you were shocked by it.

      If you are not happy about it, well then you are free to leave and find a game you like, as you should. I am liking what is going to be in the codex a lot, if you were expecting Tau, well your expectations were too high. The codex does work quite well and will work even better with the new one.

      Delete
    3. Right now the auto-target system rule is an integral part of the hydra as a whole. That means that even the heavy bolter must hit ground targets on sixes.
      I bet that the auto-target system on the new Hydra will be part of the hydra long barreled autocannons stats. It's has more sense that way, IMO.

      Delete
    4. We haven't seen the stats for it yet, so we'll see. It would be surprising to see that rule dropped completely

      Delete
  6. It's still early days... but so far I'm not feeling it. Probably because I use both the Vendetta and Chimera in numbers in most of my lists and now I will be paying a premium for no bonus in effectiveness. 71 points for the same Chimera is a bit rude... its basically back to 4th ed costs, but with worse rules.
    Veterans losing a special is huge too. While I welcome my neo-stormtroopers, the loss of density in specials in scoring units is going to hurt.
    When we got our 5th ed codex there was so much that was new, you could forgive the one or two slip ups such as stormies and ogryns. Now, we gain two units (neither of which eccite me), but lose far more and still have many of the glaring mistakes. I only hope the improved orders go some way to making up for this, and that they fix up our dear leman russ! Points are fine, just let me move and shoot everything goddammit! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really looking forward to this codex, more for the whole tank commanders, I know they are in the IA books, but I just really wanted them in the actual codex, Pask looks like he has just taking every steroid ever, rending on punishers, yes please.
    It is sad to see penal legions go as I liked there fluff, but we might get a cool supplement, with lord commissar HQ etc etc... that's just me being hopeful.
    I never used the griffon or any of the other one's that are being taken out because I'v never been a big fan of artilery, but I love the look of the Wyvern both aesthetics and from what we have heard.
    The biggest thing for me was the Vet price drop, I know we loose a special weapon, but other then that it looks all good, I love using them over platoons just because I enjoy them more and now I can use my commissar with them it will be really fun =)
    So all in all some things that make it seem a bit sad, but I think its going to be a fun codex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vets are looking to be really good, with a drop in base points and doctrines being cheaper they are better than ever, a loss of one special weapon is a fair trade and there really is no reason for them to have 3, they were very powerful and needed a small nerf, if you want to call this a nerf.

      Pask is looking to be awesome as all get out, I can't wait to keep on using him and he'll be a great addition to an armored army.

      some disappointments but overall its looking to be good.

      Delete
  8. Hey Grumpy,

    Was upset about not being able to get a digital copy for my Samsung tablet as well. I emailed Black Library to get a solid date about the release of the "Storm Trooper" codex. I was informed that it is not planned at this time.

    Thought I would let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I heard that from another source as well. Its disapointing to say the least

      Delete
  9. I used Ogryns in the last codex and were feared in my group of gamers,i will use them again in this one :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still don't get what all the doom mongering is all about, the price adjustment was what most of up expected as were the rule adjustments, ie vets losing a SW.

    Ok we lost some arty but the wyvern is a good replacement for the griffin. There were also some missed opportunities, orgyns and HWT's. But I'm still looking forward to this release and I'm hoping to get my grubby little hands on the codex tomorrow! I'll let you know if I do.

    Also been thinking about the new stormies, is it better to run a command and several small units or fewer big units? I'm thinking small at the moment for hit and run raids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on how you want to use them. Small units deepstriking is actually a pretty good option, its one reserve roll for the platoon and you can get them in there where you need them and they are cheap enough that their deaths will hurt your army too much.

      If going the mech or ground pounding route, I would go with full squads. Air assault you could go either way, though I would lean towards larger squads, if not full sized ones.

      yeah i'm not sure what all the hubbub is about, most of the changes were expected. When it comes to artillery, is seven really needed? I'm fine with what we have now.

      Delete
    2. I think what GW have done is reduce the price of leman russes to overtake the role of artillery,which is fine by me!

      Delete
    3. Sorry I don't get it. Why is having less a benefit? Or what is the downside of having more options, more diversity? And yeah, I'm looking forward to this release too. I just had hopes that some of the major problems get a fix and that working units stay aprox. the same. Call it doom mongering if you like. We'll see what we've got in less than a week.

      - Best friend Tabitha

      Delete